All students will receive a copy of our policies at orientation, and they will be asked to bring back a signed copy showing that they have read the policies before classes begin.
Compass Prep Policies for Students and Parents – 2020-2021
Expectations of All Students:
- Have a respectful attitude with adults and other students.
- Be on time for all classes with all materials needed.
- Choose clothing that is above reproach–appropriate, modest, and neat. We honor God everywhere we go. Please dress in a manner that is appropriate for our church setting. Note: no spaghetti straps, no midriff shirts, shorts must be at the fingertip, skirt length must not be higher than 4 inches above the knee when standing, undergarments must not be visible.
- Profanity will not be tolerated. We honor God with how we speak.
- Complete all assignments as instructed by teachers and tutors.
- Texting and phone calls are not allowed during class times. Leave distractions at home so that you can stay focused during class times.
- Cheating and plagiarism of work that is turned into a tutor or teacher will be given a zero and parents will be informed. We have a video link on the Compass Prep 2020-2021 class for more information.
- Students are allowed to walk only to Subway for lunch. They must have permission from an adult in charge. Students may bring food from home. If a student brings food from a nearby restaurant, it must be picked up before they come to Compass. Students may not leave campus and come back with lunch.
- Students must sign in and out on the “Subway Lunch” sheet each day they choose to get lunch from Subway.
- Students are not allowed to hang out in their cars or in the parking lot. If the student needs to wait between classes, then he must be in enrolled in study hall. Only students registered for Study Hall may be in Study Hall.
- Students must work quietly on tasks from home or Compass while in study hall and may use the internet during study hall only for school work. They may not stream videos or music for entertainment. There are classes that depend on connection to the internet, as well as the church.
- Students must leave after Compass Prep is over for the day. There is no loitering in the parking lot after class.
- Students are asked not to bring visitors with them. Only Compass Prep students should be at the church during our class days. Compass Prep is a drop-off program, and parents and siblings are asked not to wait inside the church while their student is in class.
- Please notify teachers when you will be absent. In the event of illness, please use your best judgment. Anyone running a fever, vomiting, or experiencing diarrhea in the past 24 hours should stay at home.
- Any students deliberately harming or vandalizing church property will be asked to leave all Compass Prep classes and pay for any damages. Any students who are repeatedly (more than two times) disrespectful to teachers, students, or other adults at Compass Prep will be asked to leave that class. There will be no refunds for students asked to leave classes.
- In the case of inclement weather, we will make a decision by 7:30 am on the day of classes and notify everyone by e-mail. We will also post to all social media groups. In general, if Rock Hill or Fort Mill School District cancels school, we will be cancelled for that day as well. If Aldersgate Church is closed, we will be cancelled for the day also. In the event of a delay, we have a modified schedule, which will be sent to all families.
- We are guests of Aldersgate United Methodist Church. They have very graciously provided a comfortable environment for us to learn. We are to be respectful to the property and any church members or guests using the facility.
- Please use the recycling bin in the Fellowship Hall for all rinsed cans and plastic bottles.
- Only one trash bin will be designated for food and drink items.
- All church doors will remain locked from the outside during the day. Please use only the entrance next to the church office / fellowship hall. There will be someone there to let you in; Please DO NOT ring the church bell unless absolutely necessary.
Notice to Parents:
- Compass Prep is not a school, and we do not maintain educational records for the students. We are a social group that partners with parents and instructors to provide an environment for learning independence and peer- group interactions at the high school level. It is the parents’ sole responsibility to maintain transcripts and other records for their enrolled child.
- Compass Prep does not employ the instructors. They are employed by the families who have students participating in their classes. For this reason, Compass Prep does not pay the instructors; you, the parents, pay them directly. The Leadership Board, however, maintains supervisory authority. Instructors offering classes at Compass Prep must agree to our Statement of Faith and submit a National Criminal History Background Check. While Compass Prep works diligently to screen the instructors for qualifications, we understand that teaching style and personality will vary among instructors. For this reason, Compass Prep does not guarantee satisfaction with instructors or their classes. Parents are encouraged to discuss concerns with the teacher before contacting the Leadership Board. If there is an unresolved issue which reflects a more serious nature, please inform the Leadership Board of your concerns.
- Compass Prep is a drop-off program. It was designed to give the students more independence academically and socially. We do not have the space in the church for parents to wait for their students.